Friday, March 8, 2013

Sidestepping fear and ignorance into understanding and appreciation - a review of The Fear Project

So I finished The Fear Project book a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed it, and while it was a little slow in a couple parts, most of it was very intriguing.  I liked how the author,  Jaimal incorporated much of his private life into the book.  Which is odd cause with Lewis Pugh's book, 'Achieving the Impossible', I was a little annoyed with how much of it was about his private life.  With Jaimal's book it was the right percentage of his own experiences which made it very interesting.

I especially liked the data stuff,  the reporting of experiments and the parts of the brain that influence fear.  I highlighted many sections of the book that meant the most to me.  After finishing the book I thought it wise to move to the next level, and confront my biggest concern for this upcoming year.  Which in all honesty isn't what I would really consider a fear, but something that I need more education on in order to have my nerves settle a little.  The subject?  Great White Sharks.  I know the odds of even seeing a shark at Catalina is extremely low, but much more so than in the English Channel, or in the Great Salt Lake :)
The book can be ordered in full color, or black and white.
I got the color one for $10 more.  So worth it, the images
are awesome!

So I ordered this book, "Shark - Human Interaction" by Erich Ritter.  and I love the color photos in there.  This book is more of a textbook type read, but I've only read the first couple chapters and am really enjoying it.  I'm hoping that by the time I'm done, I will have gone from "fear and ignorance" about sharks to a level of "understanding and appreciation".  Should I actually see a shark, I would really like to be educated in reading it's body language and accessing the situation better than just jumping onto Tom's kayak.

I intentionally slept in a little this morning and went straight to the pool.  I planned to not doing a longer workout today, and just get in the shorter workout, but with a greater intensity.  This morning I weighed in at 183.  I'm honestly getting into a state where I'm almost too skinny.  I need to put on some weight probably.  Less long distance cardio, and more intensity may be in order.

Today's workout was:

200 free, 200 kick
1000 - 8 x 125's odd IM, even free
400 - 8 x 50's kick 1-4 no fins, 5-8 fins on 1:00
1200 - 4 x (300 pull strong on 4:00 (got 1:30-1:35 on all), 100 IM on 2:00)

2,800 yards total in :55

Don't get me wrong, I love my job.  However, when I walk out that door, I'm in a totally different mindset and I don't go home and spend more time in front of the computer.  During my drive home I actually think to myself, "Next time I go to work I will have had an awesome swim and an awesome lift."  So my physical activity is the highlight of the day.  I love feeling strong, fit and maximizing the gift God has given me of a physical body.   It really is a matter of will.  Feeling powerful enough to say, "NO" to pizza that is provided free of charge by my company, in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and mindset is more reward than the taste of a delicious pie.

"All wretch and no vomit, you never get there."  Love it!

No comments: