Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dodgeball

Last night I was with the scouts and we played dodgeball.   I threw the ball pretty hard a few times and each time my left shoulder had a quick little pain.  Weird thing is I'm right handed and throwing with my right shouldn't have affected my left shoulder but it did.  After a couple games, I quit playing.

This morning when I got up at 0400, I couldn't lift my left arm without serious pain.  I went back to bed, I was so tired.  But then I realized I should at least go in, sit in the hot tub and try to stretch it out and really do an assessment of it in the pool.  I got there, sat in the hot tub for about 10 minutes and then got in the pool at 7:00.  I started out with:

1000 - 10 x 100's alternate free and breast :10 ri
No pain at all on breast, but left arm recovery on free was pretty painful. But bearable and seeming to get better so I continued...
1000 - 10 x 100's alternate kick (no fins) and free :10 ri
1000 - 10 x 100's all free on 1:30-1:40
Then did the above set all over.  The left shoulder was getting better and less painful as the workout went on.


6,000 yards total in 2:15


By the end, it was just an annoyance and not really a pain.  Stopped at Walgreen's on the way to work to get some heat patches and man those are awesome.

At any rate this month has been a good month.  In fact it breaks my last PR of the furthest distance in one month.  Last record was 145 miles.  This month I swam 147.3 miles (259,250 yards).  Not too shabby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that was a rib coming out of alignment, not a shoulder issue. That happens to me every once in awhile. Sometimes it makes my neck hurt, sometimes my shoulder.

Sometimes I can work it out by feeling around for a painful spot and pressing on it until it stops hurting.

Glad you're feeling better.

Gords said...

Interesting. This is definitely a pain related to the recent surgery I had. All post surgery issues have been out of the water, and swimming in all cases so far seems to make it better. So that's good!