Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's more about the choices YOU make that forges your destiny, than your DNA

This week's total comes to 94,600 yards total (53.75 miles)  That is a new PR.  The previous record was 79,500 yards which beats that record by over 8 miles.  And that's even with Sunday off (I always take Sunday off), and Thanksgiving day off.  Those yards were done in five days this past week.  So it was a pretty good kick butt week.  I'm only one week away from finishing the 250 mile Virtual Open Water Marathon Race which started less than 2 months ago.

Yesterday afternoon while I was at the big Day After Thanksgiving dinner with my extended family, I was talking with my Dad and he said that he often gets asked by his friends where I get my swimming, from my Mom or Dad.  His answer, "I have no idea".  This was something I often have wondered also.  I asked my Mom and Dad yesterday to estimate how far they have swam in their entire life.  The number totaled around 3 miles.  Wow!  So I swim more in a couple hours than they have in their whole lives - combined.  That got me thinking and I thought to myself this morning, you know its more about the choices YOU make that forges your destiny, than your DNA.

This morning it felt great to sleep in a little.   I was in the water at 0805 and did the following:

2 x {
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30 long, strong strokes
1000 kick
2000 pull
I just need one more ice bag for the other
shoulder, then I'd really look like a
Linebacker wanna be.

1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30 long, strong strokes
1000 - 10 x 100's backstroke on 2:00.  Focus on extended stroke and shoulder rotation
2000 pull
}

16,000 yards total in 4:25

I felt great and wanted to do 4,000 more yards to get an even 20K, but figured I already spent half the day away and wanted to get home and spend time with the family.  

Amazed that my shoulders and and upper back are only slightly sore and not completely nonfunctional given the amount of use they've been put through.  Been icing them and massaging them and I think that is really making a difference.

No comments: