Saturday, March 9, 2013

10 mile pool workout

Last night I packed a juice mix that I knew would provide me the sustained energy I needed for today.  I put the following in a 2 L bottle:

Started my swim and noticed that Tim Shumate was swimming!  Stopped to say hello for a bit.  He's a very cool guy and a fast swimmer.

Here's my complete workout:

1000 free
3000 - 20 x 150's odd easy, even fast on 2:15
1750 - 5 x (125 IM, 100 free, 75 IM, 25 free)
1200 - 12 x 100's kick with fins on 2:00
50 easy
3000 - 3 x (400 pull, 300 strong, 200 free, 100 finger paddles no strap)
2000 free, take a quick feed, then 2000 straight
That 4000 free was tough!  I was going at a forever pace, but it was just tiring.  Didn't feel sore, or lacking in energy, just my shoulders were exhausted.  However I took a little extra rest here and got out to pee, and then load up on a couple of protein bars, and a banana.  Man that was awesome, cause when I started this next set, I got a second wind and was feeling strong.
900 - 12 x 75's odd IM (no free), even free on 2:30/ 2:00
100 easy
2250 - 15 x (25 free, get out do 10 pushups, dive in and do 100 free, get out and do 5 pullups, 25 free)
I felt like a monster on these.  The first 10 reps I was wearing a long pair of board shorts that when I got out of the water weighed probably a good 5 pounds being soaked with water.  The pushups were easy, but by the 10th set of pull-ups  I was struggling.  So on the last 5 reps I went with a speedo and was able to get these fully completed and in a strong manner.  That's a total of 150 push-ups and 75 pull-ups.  Not to shabby!
500 - 2 x (200 pull large paddles), 50 back, 50 breast

17,750 yards total in 5:30

Very good day!  Ate the following at various times throughout the workout:
1 banana
The full 1.5 liters of the Strawberry super blend
4 protein bars

By the way, I finally compiled my BEFORE/AFTER pictures for all my fat loss:
BEFORE: 230 pounds with lots of blubber for protection
against the cold in the English Channel. 26% body fat

After: 183 pounds (48 pounds of fat loss and 3 pounds of
muscle gain.  Less than 4% body fat according to calipers)





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gord,

Big fan of your blog, I've convinced the wife to let me get a swimming pool at some point in 2013 to replace the old pond we're getting rid of in our garden. We live in Surrey so we're getting Falcon Pools to do it for us, but I was wondering what you'd recommend as the smallest optimal size for a good workout pool? Obviously I can't have an olympic, but I'm willing to get a sizeable pool to address health and exercise needs.

Gords said...

Hey John, Very cool that you're putting in a pool. If it were me, I would either get a 25 yard pool, or an endless pool. And since there is so much more expense and real estate needed for a 25 yard pool, I would go with an endless pool.

No flip turns, easy to control the temperature, and with the mirror on the bottom you can analyze your stroke. Although I don't believe you could accurately keep track of how far your training swim was.

But if it were me, I'd totally get an endless pool, or the like.