Monday, February 25, 2013

New pulling drill discovered

200 free
400 - 8 x 50's odd stroke, even kick
1600 - 4 x 400's pull get < 5:00 :30 ri (Discovered after the entire workout, that I ended up doubling up on these.  Was only supposed to do 2)
400 - 4 x 100's pull fast get < 1:10 on 1:30
900 - 6 x (25 stroke, 25 free, 50 kick, 25 stroke, 25 free)
450 - 6 x 75's stroke, free stroke

Do the above workout all over again.

7,900 yards total in 2:15

During the second round of 400 pulls, I did finger paddles, and took off the straps all together.  This forces me to keep my hand in a pulling position facing backwards in order to keep the pressure of the water right on my hand in the right position.  Then when my hand exits the water I just grab it with my thumb, then release it just before my hand enters the water and rely on perfect hand position in order to not lose the paddle.  

If you start the catch too soon, the paddle will fall off, and if you don't reach far enough, it'll also fall off.   I did lose it about 3 times during the set, which isn't bad considering its a new drill for me and I really liked it.  I think I'm gonna leave the straps off them from now on and use those finger paddles as a drill like that it.  It was alot of fun and made me really focus on my hand position.

Felt very good about the quality of those pulling sets.  Got 1:01-1:02 on a couple of them.

No comments: