Thursday, April 4, 2013

Reunited with Robin Masters

This morning I slept in just a little and drove to SLCSC for one of Wes Johnson's workouts.  Got there before the official start time of the group and did 1000 yards to warmup.  Then joined the group in their own warmup:

300 warmup
450 - 6 x 75's kick/drill/build to sprint last 25
500 - 500 straight neg.split on base (1:15/100 = 6:15)
500 - 5 x 100's on 1:20
400 - negative split on base (5:00)
400 - 4 x 100's on 1:15
300 negative split on base
300 - 3 x 100's on 1:10 (ended up flip turning on everything.  No way to swim fast enough to even open turn those 100 times)
200 negative split on base
200 - 2 x 100's on 1:05  (again, this time was out of my league as well as everyone else in my lane.  I was in position 4 out of 5 in the fast lane)
Then the workout ended and I continued with:
100 strong with an extra minute to rest for the last sprint of the day!
100 sprint for time (1:04).
I can go way faster than that, but at this point, I had already sprinted so much that  I was fatigued and this was the best I could do.
Then I talked with Wes.  Earlier he had given me some feedback on my stroke which was exactly why I went.  I wanted his expert opinion.  And he gave me some things to remember:

  1. Head position. He noticed that the water level was on my forehead, where it should be more at the very top of my head.  I need to look straight down in the water.  I think part of the reason why I was doing this is because I wanted to make sure I was keeping up with the person right in front of me and was doing more looking forward underwater than I typically do.  Especially in open water, when I can't really see much in front of me anyway.  But it's something to be more mindful of.
  2. Earlier catch on my right arm.  He said that my right arm catch is more straight at the start and about halfway through is when I bend my elbow instead of getting that bent elbow at the start of the catch like my left are is doing correctly.  Didn't notice that and yes I paid more attention to that after he mentioned it.  
At the start of the workout, Wes said, "You know Robin?"  He must have known that she was my High School coach.  I was so happy to see her and to swim with her.  She still is a speed demon and was right ahead of me in third position in the lane.  There was a young woman probably in her 20s that was in first position and holy crap was she fast.  She was nearly lapping me on those 500s.

After everyone left I continued with:
250 easy
250 - 50 ankle strap, no buoy or paddles fast stroke rate, 200 pull agility paddles with ankle strap
250 - 50 ankle strap, no buoy or paddles fast stroke rate, 200 pull large paddles with ankle strap

5,500 yards total in 1:30  Looking forward to swimming in GSL this evening!  Going for Gridley Strait for sure.





No comments: