Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Less dumb about sharks

I finally finished this book a couple nights ago.  It has some good information on the behavior of sharks and what to possibly expect with different encounters.  While there are no certainties, I think for the most part, I should be very likely to go unscathed during my Catalina swim. I'm less dumb about sharks, and less fearful, because any fear about it is quite irrational.  It's based on too many viewings of Jaws which is probably the most harmful thing that ever happened to the shark family.

This morning's workout was awesome.  I was the only one who showed up, so it was one on one coaching from Andy.  I was able to crank out some serious speed just as much as if Paul or James were there to push me.  Here's the workout:

200 swim
200 kick no fins
100 - 4 x 25's sprint free on :30
2000 - 2 x (4 x 100 build by 25 on 1:20 (got all < 1:10), 200 pull recover on 2:45, 8 x 50's odd 25 stroke/drill, even 50 sprint under :30)
400 pull
400 - 2 x 200's first one pull with ankle band, second one no paddles, but with buoy and band
200 IM
100 WD

3,600 yards total in 1:10

Instead of doubling up here, I went and did my lifting upstairs, and that was awesome.  If I weren't a swimmer, I'd be a bodybuilder.  I LOVE lifting.


No comments: