Friday, April 26, 2013

New Record - Josh Green Virtual Open Water Race

This morning I saw how blue the sky was and decided today was the day!  I got off work at a decent time and went over to Bountiful Lake.  Took video of my entry:


When I got back the ipod was off. I left it in record mode, and when I attempted to turn it on it said the ipod was overheated and needed to cool down.  So I blasted the air conditioner and got it cooled down and then recorded the time on my watch.

17:22.84 is the new record.  Swam strong the whole time.  I was aiming for under 18 minutes and was happy to get this time.  The water felt like it was 63°, but I'm not totally sure as I wasn't wearing the watch that takes temp.  Never felt "cold", but perfect temp for a fast paced open water swim.  It is nice to swim in fresh water for a change.  If I wasn't in a hurry to get home, I would have done another lap at a leisurely pace.

I'd like to sweeten the pot a little. Anyone who beats this record during the 2013 open water season, will not only get the trophy, but I'll throw in $50 cash prize money.  It's not that I'm being cocky in thinking the record will stand, but that I'm VERY interested in seeing more people participate in this thing.  It's really a shame that more people don't go for it.

Total Distance: .70 miles (1230 yards) in 17:22.84




1 comment:

Matt Gerrish said...

Gords, I'd love to go for it, but until I felt confident that I could even come close to that mark, I'm not going to make the trip down. Based off my best 1-mile pool time, I'd be fortunate to pull off the Josh Green Loop in under 22 minutes. When I make my return to the water next week, I'll be able to get going again, but it will be some time before I build back up to that. Hopefully, by the end of the summer, I'll be ready to give it a go. Hopefully, Bountiful Lake isn't too gross by then.