Saturday, April 16, 2011

New PR for biggest swim week ever!

This week I swam a total of 73,200 yards in the pool plus 3.5 miles open water for a total of just over 45 miles.

Today after supporting Cathi at the Salt Lake City Marathon, I drove to SDRC and did:

2000 free
2000 zombie
2000 zombie
1000 back/free by 25 straight
Some guy got in the lane next to me and was able to lap me doing the back/free combo so I switched back to straight free to see if I could get that lap back. I did and then some.
1000 free
2000 pull
2000 free
400 100 IM/100 Free/100 Back/100 IM

12,400 yards total in 3:30
This workout was fine, but at the end I was pretty BLAH. My neck was stiff right from the start. Don't know what I did. Might have slept on it funny. The plan was to go to Bountiful Lake after this workout and do a mile there if it was sunny.  It was.  So I went out there.  The temp came in at 56.9°F.  Got in and it was cold on the north side, but SO warm on the south end.  I bet it was 60 on the south side.  It felt great!  I started another lap after finishing the first one.  I had to meet Cathi at my parents house for an adult party so I only had time for an extra lap just around the eastern island, which I did with a wide circle, so I got in another 1/2 mile.

When I got out I didn't go through the shakes like I normally do.  If I had time I could have easily done another mile.  What a great swim.  I was thinking how much more enjoyable the Bountiful Lake swim was compared to the pool workout I did.  The sun was shining, and there were alot of people fishing, two canoes out on the lake and the water had definite warm pockets unlike yesterday.  What a perfect day!  Plus I broke a PR this week.  Felt wonderful!  Not sure I can top it next week, but I'll try.

1.5 Miles Open Water total in 43:53

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm hoping for warm weather all week so I can join you at BL Thursday.
Out of curiosity, what is your normal lap time vs zombie lap time?

Gords said...

Not sure exactly, but I'm guessing zombie is probably just under 1:30 base and normal is 1:20. What's the address of the pool you swim at?