Monday, November 28, 2011

Coaches, Coaches, Everywhere...

Last Saturday during my swim there were probably 3-4 coaches on deck directing adult swimmers.  Many of them talking with their students for A LONG TIME.  I realize it's really none of my business but I couldn't help but notice that some of them were talking for thirty to sixty minutes without doing a single stroke in the water.  I was so curious as to what wisdom was being imparted in that amount of time.  Then I thought, gee, maybe I should get a coach.  I've been there before and it's been actually very motivational to be held accountable to someone.  But then a voice popped in my head and I really don't know why.

"So you want someone to coach to you?  You want a methodology do you?  There are many willing to teach you the philosophies of men, mingled with aquadynamics". 

 I almost laughed in the water.  There are many folks out there who don't really have any business teaching swimming.  For example: most scoutmasters.  However there are a ton of qualified people with significant background to be a great resource eager learners. Anyway, I just find it amusing that there are so many so called "experts" and "coaches" out there eager to feed the masses..... for a buck.  Given the quantity of coaches out there, make sure that you pick one that REALLY knows what they're doing, especially if they're gonna charge you.  It was really odd that I was going through these thoughts because this weekend, Steven Munatones also posted the importance of a good open water coach.  You can read that here.

Anyway I had a great day off yesterday and my upper body was rejuvinated.  I even got a word from Anne Cleveland congratulating me on my significant mileage.   However she said not to forget the importance of recovery and that it is a vital part of training.  So this morning's swim was cut back a bit to allow for some active recovery.

1000 free easy
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30
1000 - 1000 kick with fins
2000 pull
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30
1000 - 10 x 100's back on 2:00
2000 free
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30


10,000 yards total in 2:45

I was feeling pretty crappy the whole time.  Felt like giving up after 5000, but stuck with it to get my 10K.  Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

No comments: