Thursday, May 19, 2011

Napolean, shut your mouth when you breathe!

"...like nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking
skills, marathon swimming skills.  Girls only want boyfriends
who have great skills!"
Some of my favorite movie duos of all time are Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker.  Then there's Kip and Napolean Dynamite.  Ever notice that Napolean always breathes with his mouth open?  You never see his lips shut tight.  Well today I realized that when I'm not concentrating when I swim in the pool, I leave my mouth open.  I couldn't get away with that in the GSL.  But in the pool I leave my mouth slightly open when I exhale underwater.  As a result I get chlorinated water in my mouth and after a while it leave my teeth and gums in a grimy sticky state.  Not very pleasant.  So I end up having to think about keeping my mouth tightly shut, especially for practice swimming in GSL.

Today's swim was tough.  I was pretty drained right from the start, so my speed wasn't that good.  I tried practicing sleeping and swimming at the same time.  But I was too nervous about hitting the wall.  But I wouldn't mind doing that in open water with a support boat.  Here's what I ended up doing:


No equipment day!
2000 free
100 back

2000 free
100 back
2000 free
100 back
2000 free
100 back
2000 free
100 back
850 free
100 back
50 breast

11,500 yards total in 3 hours.  My goal was 12,500 but I remembered how much better I swim in the evening and since I'm coming in anyway, I might as well cut the morning swim short and put more on the evening swim since I'll be fully carbed by this evening anyway.  So I will be swimming 6,500 this evening to get 18,000 yards for the day.  

1 comment:

Rob D said...

I do the same thing in the pool... I swim with my mouth wide open a lot but I am substantially tighter lipped in the ocean!

Also... I have pretty sweet marathon swimming skills but they don't seem to translate into dates so there may be a flaw in Napoleon's logic... gosh! :)