Tuesday, November 12, 2013

USMS 3000/6000 Postal and MIMS submission

Will Reeves reminded me at the meet last week that we ought to complete and submit our 3000/6000 postal this week as the cutoff is Nov 15th.  I put out a request on FB for someone to time for me and Josh graciously offered.  So I met him at Northwest this morning at 6am and started out with an easy 100 yard warmup and then went right to it.

I felt pretty good the first 1000, but after that could tell that my intensity wasn't maintainable and slowed down to pace myself a little more.  I found that I still couldn't bi lateral breathe at that pace so I tried to breath on the left side.  But ultimately ended up breathing on the right side.  Once I hit the one hour mark I stopped for probably 15 seconds to quickly get a drink of gatorade and take of my blasted cap.  The water temp was too warm for a marathon swim at an aggressive pace.

Once I hit 5500 I tried to pick it up a bit and finish strong.  Wow that was tough!  I got 4405 at the one hour mark which is only 20 yards shy of what I got in January.  Which isn't too bad considering I was trying to keep my pace maintainable for 6000 yards, not just an hour.

At 6000 yards my time was 1:22:44.27.  I was hoping for 1:20 but I was pooped!  I should have taken in more calories this morning before the swim.  I only had about 300 calories consumed before the swim.  Should have gone with more like 500-600.  And something with some SUGAR!  I'll take it though.

Finished up with 200 free, 200 IM

Total: 6500 yards in 1:30

Big thanks to Josh for taking his morning to time for me!  At least he was on solid ground and didn't have to deal with supporting me on a boat and getting sea sick.  Thanks man!

------------------------------------------------------
Update:  8pm

Went out to the GSL Marina and swam with Goody.  Swam 4 laps for a total of 1 mile.  The watch temp bottomed at 51.8°F (11°C).  It was nice.  Time: 26:15

Daily Total: 8280 yards

No comments: