Thursday, November 7, 2013

Goal time for MIMS

I know it's futile to compare one open water swim to another even if it is exactly the same course.  Different days can present vastly different obstacles.  So that makes me wonder how the organizers of MIMS are going to come up with finish placements for the whole field or are they considered completely different races.  Personally I really don't care what place I come in, but I do have a goal time:  Under 7:57:00

This morning I put together this ladder workout:

100 easy
200 IM
300 - 4 x 75's rolling IM
400 kick with fins
500 free
600 - 3 x 200's build :10ri
700 - 2 x (300 pull, 50 scull drill)
800 - 4 x 200's swim/drill by 50
900 - 9 x 100's strong on 1:27.5
1000 pull with ankle band

Do the workout going up, then repeat the 1000 and go back down.
Total: 11,000 yards in 3:02

After the workout and on the way to work, I stopped at the Dr. Office and got my second Hepatitis A/B vaccine.  Hopefully that'll prevent any possible problems after swimming MIMS.

-------------------------------
Update:  8:02pm
Met with Josh out at the Marina.  Water temp on my watch came to 49.0°F (9.4°C).  I swam four loops to the outside of the marina and back to get 1 mile.  Fingers and toes again were not in CRUSH MODE, so that was good.  Recovery was a little more dramatic from Tuesday, but still not insane.  I forgot to apply grease so the back of my neck was rubbed raw at the end.  Felt great!  Confident that I can do this.
Total: 1 mile in 26:01 @ 49.0°F

I must admit one of my favorite movies is "Winter Swimming" produced by Jack Bright.  I feel a bit like the Jamaican bobsled team that idolized the Swiss bobsledders.  Today after getting out a flashback of the movie came to mind where after a winter swim race, a swimmer is running home in the snow in his swimsuit and says this:
 "Oh yeah.  That was really something!"

Which according to the subtitles translates to:













Sunset tonight was awesome

No comments: