Thursday, February 9, 2012

The best 50 yards I've ever swam in my life

Critical angularity: "The further the destination or goal, the greater the importance of the first few steps or decisions, that get you started in the right direction". - Gords

I'm not an astronaut, but I've heard that when it comes to reentering earth's atmosphere the difference between bouncing off, burning up and entering the atmosphere safely is just a fraction of a degree depending on where you are coming from.


From Swimming
That's the same with life.  If you have certain life objectives and plans, you need to consider the small decisions that will help get you started and on your way, as not really insignificant.  Every single facet of my life is thanks to my wife, Cathi.  My happy marriage, my family, my career, and even my swimming achievements are ALL because of her.  I'm almost certain my life would pretty much suck right now if I hadn't decided to pursue her.  Even though it wasn't fast, that first lap I took with her was the best 50 yards of my entire life and always will be.

This morning I was able to get out of bed, but I took my sweet time getting ready and I wasn't in the water until 0530.  I did:

1000 free
1000 kick with fins
2000 pull
2000 finger paddles
1000 - 200 kick no fins, 300 free, 200 kick no fins, 300 free


7,000 yards total in 2:10 


Left early as I was REALLY slow this morning.  Even Raj was keeping up.  I went over to the lab and gave up about 2oz of my blood to the vampire for mercury testing.  I can't wait for the report.

Meeting with WFPBC this afternoon for a ice water swim.


1 comment: