The Secret Life of Swimmers from judy starkman on Vimeo.
Rob D hooked me up with this site which includes a video which slapped me right in the face. The poetic explanation contained in the video is exactly how I used to feel about swimming, but lately, my swimming has taken more of a "Crap I'm not getting faster" urgent feeling. Why the heck am I swimming? I love swimming because it's relaxing and I haven't been allowing it to relax me. I've been so caught up in the "training" aspect and getting frustrated with my performance. I need to step back and put my swimming into perspective. Perhaps I should take some time to slow down and...
- enjoy the salt taste
- smell the chlorine
- shiver in the cold water
- bask in the warmer water
- float on the surface
- look at the lake bottom
- watch the bubbles rise to the surface
- converse with kindred spirit swimmers
- study the aquatic creatures
- do a focused exhale beneath the surface
- quit splashing
- tread while the sun rises
- go under just for fun
- stroke on my back and observe the clouds
- and many more...