Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ugly Baby

There are several things that upset me to the a boiling point.  Some are:
  • Glen Beck's voice (not necessarily his voice but his extreme dogma)
  • Hearing people crunch on food at work.
And I have a new one:  
  • The over opinionated folks at marathonswimmers.org that are being snippy and rude to non-marathon swimmers who are defending Diana Nyad.  Its one thing to have an opinion, but the tone with which many of the swimmers are sharing their opinions is offensive to me.  I don't know why but I'll go back every few days and catch up on the thread when I really should just leave it alone.  But like an idiot asking for trouble I go back and read up on the latest crap being thrown around on the issue and get all fired up.  
When someone has an ugly baby do you really need to speak up and share your opinion?  Let the mother keep thinking that her baby is beautiful!  That's what really matters, not your shallow opinion.  I doesn't really matter in life does it?  Swimming is a sport, and for many a hobby.  It isn't a way of life or a religion.  When we die our swimming accomplishments won't really matter, no matter how up to par on the commonly approved standards they were.  What really matters is the kind of person we were.  How did we treat people?  I wish some folks would get off their high horse and start treating everyone with respect even when don't believe they don't deserve it.  

This blog by the way is my place to vent, yet I hope to still keep it respectful.  In an online forum, folks really should be able to express their opinion, yet be as polite as they would be face to face.  I respect that everyone has different opinions, but the way they are expressed is what is aggravating to me.
This morning I got up at 3:30am and was at the pool in the water at 0500 and did:

800 free 
400 kick with fins
1500 pull large paddles with ankle strap
1000 - 5 x 200's odd free, even IM :15 ri
1000 - 2 x 500's negative split on 7:30
1200 - 16 x 75's rolling IM by 25 on 1:15
200 - 4 x 50's over unders breathe control on 1:15
800 - 800 kick with fins
2000 Agility paddles
Spent a great deal of time thinking about one particular comment by a well respected swimmer that I had issues with.  A parable was starting to form in my mind and I spend a lot of time find tuning it to match the scenario.  Made the set sure go by fast though.  I actually probably went a little over the 2000 because when I wasn't focused I would penalize myself and go an extra lap above where I thought I might be.
900 - 9 x 100's free
I was supposed to do the first three on 1:30, extra rest, then next three on 1:20 and then sprint the last three and leave on 1:15, but at this point I was pooped and ended up doing them all on 1:30, with about 90% effort.
200 IM warmdown

10,000 yards total in 3:00
 


No comments: