Tuesday, May 1, 2012

4 miles in the morning, 4 miles at night

Left foot, Left foot, Left foot, Right!

This afternoon I picked up Michelle downtown and we met Goody, Chad, and Josh out at the Marina.  Josh and Michelle opted for some buoy laps around the marina, while Chad, Goody and I did the Gridley Straight.  The wind and waves were coming fairly strong from the northeast.  Swimming out to Black Rock was awesome.  Got pushed the whole way, but coming back was quite the adventure.

Tongue numbness and salt burn
After one lap, Goody and I continued for another one while Chad did more around the Marina.  One thing that is getting tough is after I open my bag and get my drink and put it back, I'm ready to go, but I've been waiting to regroup.  From now on, after I get my drink, I'll swim out to them, swim back to the rendezvous point, and then start to swim back out while they get their drinks, and then back again once they start.  I gotta keep moving.  No wonder EC feeds are encouraged to be 1 minute or less.  It doesn't take long for the body to cool down.

At the end of the swim, my GPS read 4.1 miles.  Time: 2:25 including the three breaks and regrouping at mile points.

Because of all the wave action going on, I got more water than normal in my mouth.  My tongue took a beating.  Good thing next GSL swim is two days away.   I gave a French tourist at the marina a GSLOW magnet for a free souvenir.  She said, "Merci!"

2 comments:

Matt Gerrish said...

So how long does it take for your tongue to recover when it takes a beating like this?

Gords said...

About two days.