Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Punishment

Yesterday I was planning to do an OW swim @ GSL marina in the afternoon, but as I was heading there from work realized I left my USP pass in my other car.  So I thought I'd go home and get it and then swim @ Antelope Marina.  But when I got home I was dying of hunger and ate something, and then I got caught up helping kids with various things and also realized that I've been wanted to put a picture together for the Wasatch Front Polar Bear Club I'm trying to organize.  So I took the time to put together a cartoon that will go on the hoodies that members of the club can purchase.
Here's the pic.
Do you have what it takes!
So since I flaked on my swim yesterday, I went to bed early so that I could get up early for a longer swim today, and punish myself with a 12K swim.  Although punishment really has a negative tone to it.  I would just say "make up" or something.  Today's workout was far from punishment.  It was actually quite fun!

Got up at 0350 and was in the water at 0501.  Here's what I did:

4000 - 2 x 2000 < :30 ri
Right into Masters workout at 7am:
300 warmup
400 - 8 x 50's touch and pull drill on :45
300 - 6 x 50's kick on 1:00
Main Set:
2500 - 5 x 5 x 100's free (first 2 sets of 5 on 1:30, 3rd set 1:25, 4th - 1:20, 5th - 1:15 pull.  2 min rest between sets of 5)

The guy who I swam with today and yesterday, his name is Chad.  Kind of a bigger dude.  Doesn't look like an athlete (alot like me!) But he's pretty quick.
After the main set, I moved over to the north end of the pool because the HS kids were kicking us out.  I continued with:

700 easy
4000 - 1000 pull, 1000 free no equip, 1000 pull, 1000 kick with fins  < :60 between sets

Total Distance: 12,000 yards
Time: 3.5 hours


More info on WFPBC coming soon....

4 comments:

Josh said...

I can't wait to hear what you have planned for the polar bear club! I was thinking about getting club shirts or even swimsuits made this year, but it sounds like you already have some ideas. I'm excited!

Matt Gerrish said...

What exactly is the polar bear club?

Gords said...

A group who does cold water swimming/dipping.

Chris said...

Not sure I'd get up at 3am for a swim...that shows some serious dedication from you! BRRR to cold water swimming and dipping!

Chris - Simply Swim
Swimsuits