Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Tapering and Testing

This morning I started my typical warmup routine before Masters, but half way through noticed my shoulders weren't getting any less tight.  I also thought of my ice mile and figured even though it isn't an insane distance, in order to ensure that my body is in tip top shape for it and not beat up with all the long yardage I've been putting in lately, that I should taper a little for it.  After the ice mile I'll bring it back up until I hit that 250 mile mark.

So this morning I did:

2200 - 2 x (1000 free, 100 back)

Then went to work early so that I could get off early for a GSL swim this afternoon.  I stopped at Target and picked up two different digital thermometers.  When I got to the marina I got a call that a breaking news story was in the works and the TV crew wouldn't meet us.  I didn't let that stop me.  I used my fancy new thermometers to measure the water temp:  38.3F and 38.8F on the other!  At first I was confused and thought it was 48 on them and I was like what the heck?  How could it be warmer than last Saturday?  I wasn't expecting it to drop 10 whole degrees!  38 is over two degrees colder than it needs to be for satisfying the ice mile standard, so we definitely are going on this Saturday!

I did two .25 mile laps and felt confident that I easily had one more lap in me before it got REALLY tough.  It's going to be hard on Saturday but totally doable.  I'm looking forward to it!

The time it took to get both laps in was 11:13

No comments: