Monday, December 30, 2013

Let the anarchy begin

Today after masters, there was an exceptionally large number of swimmers, many of which I had never seen before.  Let the New Years Resolutions begin!  And thus the new swimmers.  Well I circle swimmed as soon as the lanes no longer supported two per lane, but then one of the regulars, an older woman who is really slow was in my lane.  At that point I did NOT offer to one of the spectating swimmers to circle, because circle swimming when you have to pass someone every 50 yards is futile.  It's potentially dangerous.

It's best if slow swimmers circle together than to mix and max the entire pool and there are a increased number of passing going on in every lane.

So I kept on swimming, but soon I noticed a woman had joined us and now there were three in our lane, and so I started circle swimming, but at the same time watching very closely the path of the original slow lady.  She was sticking to her side even though there were three of us.  OK. No big deal I thought, so we just weaved out of her way when coming across her path on both sides.

But then this "invader" hit the old lady head on doing back stroke.  I didn't stop cause I wasn't even involved whatsoever, but I suspect there were sharp words delivered.  At that point I went back to swimming just on my original side, but as far to the wall as possible.  That way the invader could swim right down the middle and still have plenty of room.  The lane I was in was extra large because it was an end lane with a wall on one side.

Lesson that I wish EVERYONE could learn:  when you are swimming with other people....

  1. Be like a defensive driver.  Yes it's best to communicate your intentions when at the wall, but if that isn't possible, when you flip, look upside down behind you to see what the status is of the lane you're about to push off into.  If the swimmers are circle swimming, then follow along.  If they're not, then continue swimming in your direct line.  But don't assume anything.  And don't swim backstroke if you haven't established a firm set of guidelines with your lanemates.
  2. If you do happen to have a collision, its most likely not intentional and you don't need to get all huffy about it.  Just smile, apologize and move on.  We're adults and not preschoolers.  Let's all just get along.
  3. If you have some really poor stroke technique and find yourself constantly swinging your arms out wide and hitting other people.  Work on bent arm recovery drills, its a good indicator that your stroke sucks.
Today I did the following:

2200 - 2 x (1000 free, 100 back/scull)
Then did Kirsten's workout:

500 - 10 x 50's free easy on :50
400 IM
600 - 6 x 100's IM (25 kick, drill, swim, kick) on 1:40
400 IM
1000 - 10 x 100's IM (paddles) on 1:30
300 - 75 sprint (:46), 75 easy, 50 sprint (:29), 50 easy, 25 sprint fly (:13), 25 easy

Then moved to the north end and did:
1000 - 3 x 200s free on 3:00, 400 kick
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:25
1000 large paddles moderate pace
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:25
1000 agility paddles moderate pace

10,400 yards total

No comments: