Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas party swim

This morning I got to the Gene Fullmer Fitness and Recreation Center at 7am.  There were only two lanes setup and both had one swimmer in them.  I asked the guard about the other part of the pool and whether a water aerobics class was expected anytime in the morning.  Kind of a dumb question.  Of course there was.  So I ended up getting in a lane with another swimmer.

He looked good and relaxed but not necessarily all that fast.  Once I got in and started my warmup set, I noticed he was gaining on me.  I got suspicious and took a closer look at this guy.  It was James Jonsson!  He went like probably 3000 straight before he stopped doing flipturns and got a drink.  I took the opportunity to stop and say hello and we talked briefly about Utah Lake.  This is the pool he typically swims at and it was a coincidence that we ran into each other.  I could barely hang with him when I was pulling.  He's a total stud.  James is a legend in Utah for his open water records and all of them fast!

Here's today's whole workout:

2000 free
2000 pull
1000 kick with fins

Then Goody showed up and we did:
200 easy
1000 - 10 x 100's on 2:00 holding 1:16-1:18 on all of them.

Then Rachel showed up with the rest of the group, and we did:

350 yards easy

Christmas Swimfest group after our swim.  Thanks to Rachel
for all the cool matching peppermint caps!  
Then Erin showed up and gave us the following workout:

400 - 2 x 200's free on 3:30
450 - 3 x 150 IM's (no free)
200 kick with fins in under four minutes

Then we did a couple of relays which was only an additional 100 yards


Today's total:  7800 yards total

Then we all went down the slide.  Rachel gave everyone these cool peppermint silicon caps.  I was amazed how thick it was and am excited to try it at GSL next week.  They're thick and probably better than wearing two latex caps.

Then Goody and I went to Golden Corral.  Unfortunately the address that I had was not the right one, but at least Goody, myself, Heidi, and Michelle got to eat together and chat about all the different adventure swims we'd like to do, etc...  It was alot of fun and I'm very eager to get Michelle on board with some open water swims in the GSL over the winter.  She sounds enthusiastic about swimming open water and would enjoy getting another regular into our small group.

2 comments:

Matt Gerrish said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Rachel Wagner. said...

It was a lot of fun. I love doing the relays. I could do that all day. I try to have 1 workout a week that is less intense, more social. Its good for the brain!
Glad you guys had a good time at lunch despite my mistake (at least enough people went to each location to make it fun. That would have been bad if like 1 person had gone to one of them). I was bummed I didn't get to meet Michelle. Oh well. Next time!
Swimoutlet.com has tons of caps like I got with every design, for every holiday you could imagine. I want to start a mini collection.