Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thinking positively

Today I swam at SDRC.  Was in the pool at 6am and did:

1000 free easy
1000 - 2 x 5 x 100's descend 1-5 on 1:30 (1:25 - 1:13)
David Balling was a couple lanes over and was watching me on that last set.  He was apparently done with his workout and was just watching that whole set. On my last one he said "Pretty good!" I still feel embarrassed about our last conversation.  What an idiot! 
1000 - 10 x 100's stroke last one free no rest
2000 pull w/ankle strap build by 500s
1000 - 10 x 100's Tempo Trainer start fast tempo (:90) and slow it up by :02 per 100 (end on 1:08) on 2:00.  Try to maintain same finish time (@ 1:21)
1000 - 10 x 100's Tempo Trainer start slow tempo (1:08) and speed it up by :02 per 100 (end on :90) on 2:00
On these last two sets I was pretending that I was swimming downstream.  I could almost feel the current pushing me like I was swimming in a river downstream.  This kind of thinking I'm sure made me faster than if I wasn't thinking this way.  I think my "sweet spot", or ideal spm is right about 62 spm.  Faster rate and I'm not as efficient.  Slower rate and I'm just plain going too slow.  

200 IM warmdown


7200 yards total

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Our outdoor pool has two very powerful waterslides that push a current and basically making one lap a 'cruise' and the other a pretty significant counter-current. I know good swimmers who avoid these times because of this. It's actually an interesting training opportunity to emphasize the glide on the 'downhill' and focus on technique/efficiency 'uphill'.

I caught the link to your embarrassing moments section. I share a similar bicycle story, however I was locked in on my left pedal prior to a start of a race, got to far over to that side and ended upside down with my bike on top of me still locked in with just the one foot. This was just before the start so everyone saw me. Soon realized we were in the Cat2 division and got smoked by all these great cyclists as well. Gotta have those moments sometimes.

Be well.