Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Perfect swim

Last evening I did a chest workout, and woke up this morning pretty sore.  This was a GOOD sore.  The kind where you know you've worked out well, but didn't injure yourself.  Today's goal was to just swim an easy 4 miles and mostly focus on a good stretch for the sore chest.  I drove out to GSL marina and got there at 6:30.  I got in the water and swam Gridley Straight.  Halfway to Black Rock I stopped and took this video of the sunrise.



Then stuffed the camera back in my SSD and continued on.  I did two laps this morning.  It was nice and easy.  Probably at around 65% the whole time.  I stopped once to get a drink and just laid back and rested my head on the SSD like a pillow.  I stopped there and enjoyed the moment for a couple minutes.  I very rarely do that when I'm out for a swim.  It was so relaxing. The water temp was 79 and almost too warm for a fast swim.   There wasn't a cloud in the sky and no wind.  Really calm day.  The perfect morning swim.

I was thinking about my swim partner Josh, who I knew was going for a fast swim this morning out at Bountiful Lake.  When I got in to work I found out he beat the record.  That put a smile on my face.  I was hoping he would.

At my second lap to Black Rock I was almost there and saw something poking out of the sand under the water.  It was round and looked like a perfectly round rock.  I stopped and dug it out.  It was a "White Flyer Bio" clay pigeon.  Supposedly it biodegrades 95% within two years.  Glad that these aren't all over the place. First time I've seen one out here.  Hopefully the last.

It was nice to get out of the water in privacy instead of being an object for a goofy picture by tourists.  I stopped to take a picture of a good sized Orb Weaver spider that was hanging out on a web at the boat ramp.


Total Distance: 4.25 miles 

No comments: