Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Answering ignorance with sarcasm

You know I'm starting to get sick of defending Bountiful lake as a viable place to swim.  For those who I perceive really want to be brave I'll give them my true opinion.  But for those who are nonchalant about open water swimming and ask "faithlessly", I'm just going to start answering with "No, Bountiful Lake is way too dangerous to swim in.  Don't try it, you might die."

Today I wanted a quality pool set so I came up with this workout:

500 warmup free
500 - 5 x 100's drill (first 100 easy with camera, 2nd 100 fingertip drag, 3rd - touch and pull, 4th touch and pull, 5th easy) on 1:45
I wanted to capture video to make sure my pull is not crossing over and that I'm as wide as my shoulders and not coming close to my center line. Also that I keep my forearm pointed down and not curved in.  Looks pretty good to me.  Probably could hold the reach for split second longer though.
1000 - 5 x 200's on 3:00 Tempo Trainer (start @65spm and increase each set last set on 60 spm)
Maintain same time of 2:40
1500 - 5 x 300's
Odd (3 x 100s one arm fly/back/breast) on 5:00, even free on 4:30
2000 - 5 x 400's pull w/ankle strap on 6:00
2000 - 5 x 400's pull w/ankle strap on 5:45
500 - 100 back, breast, one arm fly, easy free, free strong (1:06)


I wanted to go back down to 5 x 300's and 5 x 200's, but my right shoulder was starting to bug me, and finishing the whole workout (over 10K) also meant I was going to be late for work, so I called it.  I also made a mental note to be aware of if I burp or not.  Not once.  But I have a worse habit.  Coughing up phlem and spitting it into and rinsing out the gutter.  I remember in high some old guy stopping at the gutter every time he was done and very loudly producing loogies to spit in the gutter before he got out.  He really grossed out alot of people.  At least I'm very discreet.  Hopefully :)

8000 yards total

2 comments:

John R. Kormanik said...

Gord - what type of camera/setup did you use to shoot the video? That's a GREAT training tool!

Gords said...

Used an HD Hero 960. If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 1060. This camera rocks and has alot of optional accessories except some of them like the battery extender, or viewfinder, or 3D is only available with the 1060. Very good camera for sports, but not so much for taking groups pics or creating panoramas. It has a built in fish-eye lens.