Thursday, June 21, 2012

Every morning should be like this

If I lived in a condo on the shores of Pineview, I would swim there every morning. This morning I got up at 4:15 and got ready to meet Goody out at pineview. Got there at 5:15 and was in the water swimming at 5:30. The sun was just barely lighting up the eastern horizon and there was steam coming off the water. The air temp was 46f and the water temp was warmer than that.

I gave Goody my only copy of this newspaper article that mentioned him.  I was OK with it, cause I have a digital image of it.  But he was reluctant take my only copy, and I got him to mistakenly say his most hated phrase:  "Are you sure?"  He almost kicked himself for saying it.  I was laughing.

I was sitting down and reading the local newspaper
when I stumbled on this cool little article.  What
a coincidence, cause I never read the paper.
We got in and I swam ahead cause Goody is tapering and swimming nice and easy. Got to the dam buoy line and took a temp reading: 64.0f  Awesome.  I wasn't even chilled. Swam back towards Goody and Kim and informed him of the temp and teased him about having less days left before Catalina, than he can count on one hand. He's a little nervous about it. I assured him he's prepared and he'll do fine.

I swam along the southern shore until I lined up with the wake buoy on the south end. Then did a buoy route back to the beginning. Did another lap of that. Just as I was finishing I was breathing to the left and saw someone swimming the other direction in an orange cap. I stopped and looked and saw that he and about 4 other wetsuited swimmers were doing a buoy route. Cool!

When I got out the GPS read 4.69 miles in 2:35. I wasn't even close to wanting to get out, but I had to get to work. Swimming at pineview, then driving to Salt Lake for work can't be done everyday, but I'm gonna try and do it at least twice a week from here on out. My first Bear Lake swim is next weekend. Before I pulled out of the parking lot, I put a "Got Salt?" magnet under the wiper of each car of the triathletes. Hoping to reach out to them and get some conversions. Looking forward to Saturday's Lake Cleveland swim.

 Total Distance: 4.69 miles in 2:35



4 comments:

Josh said...

Dang! Was the water really 44 degrees?! If so, that's amazing that you could stay in that long!

Cool article in the newspaper! Too bad that was the only one...

Gords said...

Ha! Fat fingered that entry. It was 64.0

Josh said...

Ha ha! You guys have way better cold tolerance than I do, but that would have been RIDICULOUS at 44 degrees!

Still, an awesome swim considering the air temperature and minimal sun.

Unknown said...

LOL that would have been awesome if it was still 44! We would be freaking super heroes!
I bet those rubbers were looking at you as if you were super human for being in water under 120 degrees and not needing a wetsuit.