Friday, January 27, 2012

Turning polygamist (from a swimmer's perspective)

Since my yearly membership at South Davis Rec Center expires today, I'm finally making the move.  Here's the deal:  Salt Lake County has several pools, three of which are relatively close to my work.  One of them has a fantastic masters club that I've attended a few times before.  Plus the yearly membership at SL county is much cheaper AND includes masters, whereas at SDRC masters was an additional $20/month on top of the yearly membership.  Seems like a no brainer to me.

Plus every once in a while I'd show up at the pool and a sign was up just announcing that the pool was closed for a meet, and "Sorry for the inconvenience".  With the SL County premium pass if one pool is down, no biggie, I can just go to one of the others.  Not tied down to just one pool.  Nice!  However once summer gets here I probably won't swim in the pool more than once a week anyway.

After reading Evan's post on sport nutrition, I decided I really need to get away from my love for Gatorade as my preferred energy source.  So this week I made an appeal to Hammer Nutrition for some help finding something that was "Just what I needed".  Last night I got the big box full of trial samples of Heed products.  For my first day I tried the Orange Flavored Heed.

I mixed it up last night and put it in the fridge.  The one serving is to be mixed with 16-24 ounces of water.  I opted for 16, as I like to taste the flavor.  During today's workout I took a drink after every 1000.  It was terrible.  I must be spoiled with the sharp tang of gatorade, but the heed tasted like toilet water.  It wasn't flavorful.  I could barely taste the orange and it wasn't sweet at all.  Seriously something I'll not continue using.   The back of the label suggested I try something called "Perpetuem" that supposedly is intended to be stronger and supports longer endurance sports.  I have several other flavors of Heed and I'll try them, but I don't expect them to be much better especially if they're not tangy and tasty.  I'll continue to report my personal findings.

Every athlete's preferences are different and I want something I can taste!  Especially after spending hours in super salty water that can wake up my taste buds after being exposed to salt.  And at the same time fuel me.

I left my Swimsense at work on the charger so today's workout was done in sets of 100's  or thousands so it wouldn't be that difficult to keep track.  (My brain has gone soft ever since not being required to keep track myself).

1000 free easy
1000 - 10 x 100's finger paddles on 1:27.5
1000 free focus on efficient pull
1000 - 10 x 100's back/breast drill
1000 free
1000 - 10 x 100's PT paddle on 1:50
1000 free (Wow!  I love those PT paddles.  It really makes a difference in my technique!)
1000 - 10 x 100's kick with fins on first 800
1000 free
1000 - 10 x 100's pull with big TYR paddles on 1:20 (held 1:15 on all)
100 breast easy


10,100 yards total in 3:00 even


Tomorrow I'll go to SLC Sports Complex and get my yearly pass.  I'm setup with USMS to belong to the SALT Masters club, so now I get to start swimming with them.  No hard feelings South Davis, and I apologize for the inconvenience!  But the appeal of having multiple pool options at my beckon call is too alluring!

5 comments:

Josh said...

I've been reading Evan's nutrition posts as well and I have been meaning to try Perpetuem. Does it come in single serve packages? I just need a little to test out.

I have to water down gels and Gatorade on long swims because they are too sweet and make me sick.

I'd like to make the switch to a SL County pass and swim with SALT as well. We'll probably get a family pass, which is a good chunk of change. Now I just pay a monthly fee at my gym (less than $20 a month). It's actually cheaper to get the county pass, but have to pay for it all up front.

Evan said...

Hey Gords, thanks for the link. Flavor is definitely not HEED's strong point. Some folks prefer it mild, and those people tend to like HEED. Perpetuem has a different mouthfeel because of the soy protein content. Some people hate it, and others (D. Barra for instance) like it. If you like stronger flavors, you might try GU products. They use maltodextrin as the primary carb source, but add fructose to make it stronger & sweeter.

Gords said...

Josh, it does look like they offer single serves of Perpetuem. http://www.hammernutrition.com/quick-order/#fuels

Josh said...

Nice! I might drop by Salt Lake Running (near my work) and see if I can pick some up. I'll let you know how it goes after I try it.

Matt Gerrish said...

Agreed on the Heed products. Although I've only tried it once, during my 10k, I honestly almost gagged when I first swallowed it. Barely any flavor and kind of tasted like I'd imagine dirty dish water would taste. Keep us posted on how some of the other Heed products work out.