Friday, April 10, 2009

Comparing Swimming to Running

When I was in High School and swimming competitively there, my brother Russell at the same time was competing in Track and Field. When we would compare times from our respective meets I made an interesting observation. My swimming times which in my Junior year were relatively respectable, were very close to his times in running when the distance was multiplied by 4. Except he was running in Meters and I was swimming in yards.

So 1 yard swimming = 4 Meters Running

If using the same unit of measure that is about 1:4.37

For example my 25 yard free sprint was comparable to my brother's 100 Meter sprint.

So one of my goals was to get my 200 Free time under my brother's 800 M time. That was the only way we could compete since I couldn't run and he couldn't swim.

No comments: