Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review of Lewis Pugh's "Achieving the Impossible" book

When I first heard of Lewis Pugh it was through this video:


When I saw that he was releasing this book earlier this year, I kept an eye out and when it came out I immediately bought it.

Although his swims were very inspiring, I would rate the book about a 2.5 out of 5 stars.  It was slow in many spots and often went on tangents that didn't keep me interested.  It took me 2 months to finish the book cause I wasn't consistently drawn into it.  There were about three parts in the book where I was NOT impressed by his character.

He's great at getting his mind and body able to swim in super cold water. I respect his intentions and desire to inspire change in governments and individuals in their attitude about global climate change and promote changes in behavior which will make a difference in the damage done to our planet.  However he's not a great author.  I guess I was hoping to read more about his swims, instead of so much on his personal life, and his SAS training.  It just wasn't written very well.  But kudos to him for those swims and his efforts to bring more attention to the global climate change problem.

No comments: