Thursday, October 18, 2007

18 Oct 2007

Looked up workout from 9 October 1989 and used a portion of that for today:

1000 - 2 x 25's on :30, 2 x 50's on 1:30, 2 x 75's on 2:00, 2 x 100's on 2:30 rest for a few minutes then work your way back down

200 - 4 x 50's free/breast/one arm fly/breast

250 - Grandpa swimming

1450 TOtal

A woman asked from the ledge if she could swim in our lane with us. I said sure and she came in from the ladder. As she was making her way over to our lane Cathi got there and I said "We need to start circle swimming". Cathi said "Why? There are other lanes with just one person!". I was trying to keep Cathi's voice down since she was right there and heard. Granted Cathi's logic was correct. But I come from a school of thought where lanes are absolutely open and public and there should never be a concept of ownership for lanes. When I was working as a lifeguard many years ago I would see human nature in practice and the greed that many adults expressed about their lanes. Unbelievably childish.

Anyhow the girl heard Cathi's outburst and looked over at me and said, "Yes I'll just go over there, sorry.". I was disappointed. I like circle swimming. It provides a little bit of motivation to go faster. But I definitely was wondering what her intent was in asking us when every other lane only had one person. Perhaps it was because the other lanes had grandpa swimmers and at the time I was going at a fairly decent speed and she wanted to swim with other people who weren't just gracefully floating in a forward motion.

No comments: