Tuesday, February 25, 2014

This one's for you Doc

Yesterday morning I went to see Dr. Spencer Richards, my sports medicine doctor to get an ultrasound on my right shoulder.  Even after taking 4 full days off from swimming it was still tender and I was really worried I might have a serious injury like a rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder this time.  Except the pain on this one was right on my AC joint, so I wasn't sure.
Spencer Richards
located in Bountiful

He did the ultrasound and said that the end of the clivical bone was a little enlarged and explained that its like a callous.  That it isn't necessarily a bad thing unless it's causing damage and based on the tissues around it, didn't appear to be the cause of the pain.  The pain was simply a buildup of inflammation around it that is likely due to overuse.  (This time I'm blaming the heavy lifting to failure sets my trainer has me doing.  Which involves drop sets to failure on particularly shrugs and lateral raises)

He said that if the swelling is due to the enlarged end of the clavical, that it can be shaved off and that it was a relatively simple procedure without a lengthy recovery.  But he wasn't suggesting that for me.  He said that since this was our first time on this particular shoulder in this area, that it might not be a bad idea to go with a cortisone shot and keep working with the inflammation with ice and ibuprofen.  If it is repeated then we can try more intensive options.  I decided to go with that, especially considering MIMS is less than 4 months away.  After that I won't be doing tons of yards.  (Not that I'm really doing all that much right now anyway)

This morning I woke up and my shoulder was feeling amazing so I put in a decent workout at Northwest which I wrote up last night.  This workout is dedicated to the miracle worker Dr. Spencer Richards:

R - 18 x 50's free/stroke on :40/50
I - 9 x 100's free on 1:30 (desc 1-3) 1- bilateral 2 - left side X 2, right side x 1, 3 - right side only
C - 3 x 200's STRONG free on 2:45
H - 8 x 75's kick with fins on 1:15
A - 1 x 1000 free moderate tempo
R - 18 x 50's free/stroke on :40/50
D - 4 x 400's odd - free, even IM :5 rest
S - 19 x 50's (3 x 6 x 50's - first round pull, second round finger paddles, third round no equip) on :40

50 warmdown

7,500 yards total in 2:15

No comments: