Wednesday, May 1, 2019

My first impressions of Endless Pool

Pros:

  • The full length mirror bottom is awesome. The test pool I swam in didn't have that and my vision of what mine would be like was spot on.  The best upgrade by far.
  • The swim current feels natural and I was glad I got the upgraded High Performance version. It boasts a max pace of :56/100yds.  Plenty fast for me.  
  • I can control the pool with my phone using fit@home app.  
  • I can monitor and raise the temp of the pool from anywhere using my Gecko in.touch app.  
Cons:
  • The programmable features of the fit@Home app is pretty wimpy.  It doesn't allow me to export/import from XML, which would be sweet! I have to use the app itself to create workouts, and the app doesn't allow me to create "set groups" for me to copy and alter. I have to create every single set from scratch. 
  • The endless controller reminds me of a very simple 8th grade electronics student experiment. On/Off and Up and Down buttons.  That's it.  But with me using my phone instead, it doesn't really matter.  But it's not a great first impression looking at that controller.
  • The security cover is definitely not a source of significant heat retention.  If the overnight low is below 60, you're better off putting a layer of poly foam to retain the heat.  The heater for the pool isn't super fast.  It takes a while for it raise that temperature.  If I were to do this purchase over, I would have gotten a hard top cover that includes insulation, similar to what I have for my hot tub.
  • I'm worried that the middle of summer, the sun will heat the pool too much and it'll be too hot to swim in.  The pool includes a heater, not a cooler.  So I need to get a sun tent to keep the sun off it in the middle of the day, PRONTO!  As you can see, I keep the pool at an ideal 74 (for now), and it's at 79 degrees.  

A couple of unresolved issues as of now.  I will mark these as completed, once I get them fixed:
  1. There is a leak. I'm losing about 1/2" of water over 24 hours.  I suspect the lights, but I'll need to troubleshoot this further.  Good thing though is I have an extended warranty, so worst case scenario I get a new liner free of charge.
  2. The lights don't work the same time as the current.  What's the point of having lights if I can't swim with them on, only have them on when the current is off?  I called DC, and he claimed I needed a whole new electrical line to operate the heater/light system at the same time as the current.  A call to endless customer support revealed that isn't true.  They asked me to send a picture of the electrical connections and they'll help me get them up and running.  We'll see....

What if...
  • Endless Pools should get an Amazon Alexa App integration, so I can yell out "Alexa, tell Endless to slow down!" which I can configure to mean to slow the pace by 5 seconds per 100.
  • Apple produced a waterproof version of an iPad.  My phone is waterproof, but iPads currently are not.  I'd love to be able to position an iPad to the edge of the pool for me to see the stats. Get with the program apple! Get those iPads waterproof and I'll get one. Until then, I'm stuck using my waterproof iPhone8 as the controller.

No comments: