Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I'm not a good person

I'm too damn competitive, or proud.  One of those two or a combination of them.  Today near the start of my workout some guy got in the lane next to me and started sprinting out sets of 100 yards on like 3 minutes.  He was going fast, but he was passing me like I was Grandpa swimming.  Granted I was just swimming through and flipturning and not resting, but it was bugging me, so I picked it up.  Especially when he'd start 5 yards behind me.  He was in the lane next to me, but I wouldn't let him pass me up.  That's only a fast hundred, then I can pull back to my normal pace while he rests for two minutes and then pick it back up again.  I kind of felt like a jerk after he got out after doing maybe 1000 yards.  Hope that was his planned distance and didn't leave feeling demoralized.  Thought to myself this saying that Cathi and I sometimes admit to each other when we've done something wrong: "I'm not a good person."

Today's workout was wonderful:

2000 free
2000 pull
1000 kick
1000 free
1000 - 900 free, 100 IM
1000 - 800 free, 200 IM
1000 - 700 pull, 300 back
1000 - 3 x 200 free fast on 3:00 (banked :20), 2 x 200 IM's no rest
500 - 5 x 100's descending :30 ri (1:25, 1:19, 1:14, 1:08, 1:04)
Took an extra minute before the last set.  The 4th set on the last 50 my right calf was completely useless as it was totally cramped up.  Kept on swimming though and was happy to get a 1:08 on it. Then on the last 100 my left calf cramped up on the last 25.  Awesome sprinting set!  Love to get some decent speed at the end of a long workout!
100 free/back

10,600 yards total in 2:53

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that you are not a good person. That person, who's humanity you have so violently ripped from them, probably went home and Opus Dei flogged themselves like so....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8owxamcRQ
This person probably had only ONE thing to bring happiness to themselves in the world and you just HAD to kill it. I lie awake at night wondering if you are the kind of person that aims for the neighborhood cat as you drive by at night.
I have been the target of your injustice on several occasions and if it wasn't for your great smile and SLAMMIN' ASS, there is no chance we'd be friends!
I hope this has given you something to think about.

Matt Gerrish said...

Hahaha. I know just what you mean. Occasionally, I feel guilty when I'm cruising past people in other lanes that are doing short sprints and I'm going longer distances. But sometimes, when a much faster and more experienced swimmer gets in the lane next to me, it gives me more motivation to push it harder. A pacer, if you will. Who knows, perhaps you helped him get a much better workout. However, I don't feel bad when some arrogant dude, who has terrible form jumps in and thinks he's Michael Phelps. They go all out for about 25 yards and try to show you up, not knowing you've already been going for several thousand yards. I feel it is my duty to burn him in one of those little sprints, just to get him out of the pool.

Gords said...

Matt, sounds like we think alike on this one. Kinda dumb but when swimming seems to define you, anyone who swims faster better not be some chump in bermuda shorts doing heads up swimming. Just can't go for that right?