Thursday, March 31, 2011

Heat wave

The view outside my office window towards downtown SLC
Today was a beautiful day!  I was looking forward to this afternoon's Bountiful Lake Swim.  Two days ago the water temperature was 48°.  With today's temp I was hoping for 50.  You wouldn't believe the jump!  It read 58.6 degrees.  I then held it underwater about 12 inches (its a waterproof digital thermometer) and it only dropped to 58.4.  I couldn't believe it.

When Josh showed up we put his mercury water therm in there.  Sure enough it stopped dropping at 59°.  I told myself that as soon as it got above 50 I would go around the whole lake.  I wasn't about to back out of that commitment.  So today I did it.  Josh and I started out at the boat ramp and man there was a cold pocket along that north shore between the island and the northern edge that I'm betting was at least a few degrees colder.  We kept on going around and the northwest corner also was very cold.  I turned around at the northwest corner and tried locating Josh and his orange SSD and didn't see it.  So I figured he kept going around the west island.

I stayed right along the shoreline just like I normally do on a warm day.  It was awesome.  The water felt like it was much warmer on the south side of the lake.  I'm also willing to bet that the water was higher than 60 at the southeast corner of the lake.  When I finished, I stopped my watch exactly at 30:00!  I had to stop a few times, once to defog my goggles (time for a few new pair), and twice to check on where Josh was.

I felt fine when I got out.  In honestly felt like I could have gone around another time.  However after being out of the water, dried off and in clothes, just like clockwork, I started getting the shakes about five minutes afterwards which lasted for about 8-10 minutes.  The air temp was 67°, but with the wind after getting out of the water that didn't help.  I had a great time.   I've been way out of practice sighting.  With it being warmer I was able to bilateral breathe much better.  However I was far from perfect I only bilateral breathed about 50% of the time.  I was annoyed with my foggy goggles, with the inability to sight very well ahead of me.  Good thing I'm very familiar with the contours of the outside edge that I sight off that instead.

Total:  1.1 miles in 30:00


Today's swimmers were: Goody, Josh, Myself and a new guy Ryan.  Always nice to have someone new.

No comments: