Thursday, July 22, 2010

Coach Gords

It's been a while since I've had to be a coach or swim instructor, but Dale asked me to help analyze his stroke and what he could do to improve it, so this morning after I did most of my working, he came to the pool with his friend Josh and we worked together for about 40 minutes.

The biggest thing (which is what alot of new swimmers have trouble with) was:

  1. Bilateral breathing
  2. Slowing down the stroke and doing a full reach forward to a full pull backwards with a glide.
  3. Keeping the head down in order to raise the legs and keep the body in a more streamlined position.
Other than that, just spending time in the pool to give those muscles work and getting used to increasing the distance.  

Josh had a good stroke but found himself running out of breath.  Some of that is letting out air as soon as the head goes back in after a breath, as well as just spending more time in the pool and getting the muscles used to working in swimming and maximizing that oxygen.

As for my own workout:

1000 yards straight moderate pace
850 yards kicking straight
1000 - 5 x 200's pull on 2:50
1000 - 10 x 100's free on 1:30 (get under 1:17 on all)

150 yards warmdown

4000 yards total

I told them that one of the best ways to analyzing the stroke is to see your own stroke.  Nobody can "see" their own stroke while swimming, they can feel it, but that is different.  So next time I'll have to bring my video camera and show them so they can see what they're doing.  I often wish I could have my own stroke videoed and analyze it myself more often.  It really is telling!  

Looking forward to Fremont Island swim tomorrow!

No comments: